Simon & Schuster has generously offered a copy of one of their new books, Mrs. Kennedy and Me, for a giveaway on USHistoryFiles. First about the book:
From Simon & Schuster:
HE CALLED HER MRS. KENNEDY. SHE CALLED HIM MR. HILL.
For four years, from the election of John Fitzgerald Kennedy in November 1960 until after the election of Lyndon Johnson in 1964, Clint Hill was the Secret Service agent assigned to guard the glamorous and intensely private Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy. During those four years, he went from being a reluctant guardian to a fiercely loyal watchdog and, in many ways, her closest friend.
Now, looking back fifty years, Clint Hill tells his story for the first time, offering a tender, enthralling, and tragic portrayal of how a Secret Service agent who started life in a North Dakota orphanage became the most trusted man in the life of the First Lady who captivated first the nation and then the world.
When he was initially assigned to the new First Lady, Agent Hill envisioned tea parties and gray-haired matrons. But as soon as he met her, he was swept up in the whirlwind of her beauty, her grace, her intelligence, her coy humor, her magnificent composure, and her extraordinary spirit.
From the start, the job was like no other, and Clint was by her side through the early days of JFK’s presidency; the birth of sons John and Patrick and Patrick’s sudden death; Kennedy-family holidays in Hyannis Port and Palm Beach; Jackie’s trips to Europe, Asia, and South America; Jackie’s intriguing meetings with men like Aristotle Onassis, Gianni Agnelli, and André Malraux; the dark days of the year that followed the assassination to the farewell party she threw for Clint when he left her protective detail after four years. All she wanted was the one thing he could not give her: a private life for her and her children.
Filled with unforgettable details, startling revelations, and sparkling, intimate moments, this is the once-in-a-lifetime story of a man doing the most exciting job in the world, with a woman all the world loved, and the tragedy that ended it all too soon— a tragedy that haunted him for fifty years.
For more information you can go to: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Mrs-Kennedy-and-Me/Clint-Hill/9781451648447
Now about the contest:
It is open to U.S. Residents only.
To enter do any of the following:
1. Follow USHistoryFiles on Twitter and tweet “@USHistoryFiles #book #giveaway”. And add a link to this post. – OR –
2. Share this post via, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc… MAKE SURE you post in the comments section below that you shared this post. – OR –
3. Sign-up to follow USHistoryFiles via email AND leave a comment on the bottom of this post.
The fine print:
1. There are 3 ways to enter (see above). Each individual is allowed only one entry (you do not get 2 entries for sharing via Twitter AND Facebook – I’d like the exposure, but I don’t want you to annoy your friends/followers). <grin>
2. You must have a valid US mailing address to receive Mrs. Kennedy and Me.
3. Entries will be accepted until 11:59 PM (Eastern Daylight Time) on March 30, 2012.